Monday, March 16, 2009

Traveling to Cali with my friends


Ahhh it's been awhile since my last post. Not to worry, little has happened outside of the constant stream of exams. However, I did take a little trip to San Diego with four of my college friends last week, and let me tell you, it was quite the trip.

I hope to update with more pictures and stories later, but I figured this one might wet your whistle if you have been dying to hear about my life.
Now, you may be asking yourself, "Self, why on earth would Monica post a picture of a 16 oz. bottle of Coppertone Sport sunscreen on her blog?" You may be thinking that this might be the start of a story about how I got absolutely fried while I was in Cali. This, much to the delight of my anti-skin cancer pathology professor, is not the case. (Although I did get a little sun.) You might also think that this could be the beginning of a story about how I was protected from UV rays while engaging in some demanding athletic opportunity. While this was the case (if you can call a relaxing bike ride around the island "demanding") on one of the days, this is not the story I will share with you today.

In fact, the story I am about to tell didn't even happen on my vacation at all. It occurred just moments before we were destined to leave So Cal for our return to Wisconsin. The story begins when I exited the cab at the airport, checked my bag at the curb, and then instead of handing my bag to the attendant I walked into the airport with it. "Mon!" Megan yelled. "You have to give that to him!" Right. Airport foible #1. On the way to security, I was chatting it up with my roommate on the phone, discussing the present state of the Marquette-Villanova BEast tournament game (it was dismal at that point) and finally had to let her go to walk through security. So I de-shoed myself, threw my things in the bin and walked through the metal detector like a pro. As I was waiting for my things to come through, staring off into space, Mary Kate taps me on the shoulder. "Mon" she said. "I think that's your bag." Not sure what she meant, I looked at the security monitor to see that indeed the flashing lights and incessant beeping noise was coming in response to my bag going through the check. The security guard began scouring my bag while I was trying to figure out what on earth could have set off the alarm. And then, triumphantly, the security guard raised her hand with the item of interest. Yes, my friends, you guessed it. I attempted (inadvertently) to carry on a 16 oz. bottle of Coppertone Sport sunscreen. Apparently that is frowned upon these days.

I couldn't help my outburst. "OH GOD!!" while Mary Kate was just about peeing herself laughing. I was afraid I might end up in airport incarceration. (It happens. My friend Molly got locked up in England for not having a Visa.) "Just throw it away! I'm sorry!" I yelled as the lady smiled and carefully threw out my bottle of sunscreen. Why? Why had I not packed this meaningless (sorry Dr. Bell) item in my suitcase? Why was I so careless? Why were my friends doubled over laughing at me?

Airport foible #2.

After we dried our eyes from this experience, we quickly ran to the airport bar to watch the rest of the Marquette game before our flight left. We were loiterers. None of us, after our week of vacation, had a strong desire to buy a drink then (or ever pay for one in an airport) so we just stood in the doorway blocking traffic and staring at the TV screen. This was the exciting part of the game. Marquette was slowly gaining on Villanova in the second half of the game. And although I don't think anyone in this bar cared an ounce about Marquette or Villanova, after we showed up, just about everyone was watching the screen by the end of the game. Yes, Marquette had overcome a 20-point half time deficit to lead Villanova with 13 seconds to play. Everyone was rooting for the underdog. People were on their cell phones talking about the game. We were all watching it together. And as the clock ticked away and we watched Nova make a layup in those last seconds and come out on top, it was nothing less than a heartbreaker. What a disappointment. Regardless, I still have fond memories of that bar in SAN airport. We may not have purchased anything, but we brought atmosphere. People left that bar invested in an experience with 50 other strangers. And that was worth it.

Megan's comment on the game? "That sucks. I think it is just a sign of what is to come. Our lives are already starting to turn crappier as we leave San Diego."

We boarded our first flight to Minneapolis/St. Paul and successfully traveled back to the Midwest. After a delightful dinner at Chilli's in the MSP airport (it's like a mall!) we (attempted to) board our final connection back to Milwaukee. But as I brought my ticket to the counter, it would not scan. He tried it a few times but to no avail. I started getting nervous as he starting typing into his computer. Catherine from behind started saying, "Mon, that's not the right ticket," but I wasn't listening to her because our boarding passes for both flights were on the same ticket. Well, it turns out our boarding passes for both flights were on the same ticket both for our flights leaving Cali and returning to Milwaukee. Yes, I had tried to board this flight to Milwaukee with a ticket to San Diego. Apparently I had placed my boarding pass from our first flight in the same pocket of my bag as I had my actual ones and never thrown the old one out. I was quickly able to retrieve the real one and board the plane without too many scowls from the group of people still anxious to board behind me. Airport foible #3.

Yes, friends, I struggle when traveling. It should come as no surprise that I was dubbed the super traveler of the trip.

More to come on the actual trip....

No comments:

Post a Comment