Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring Break: The Highlights

Alright, so I've already shared the fact that it is miracle I made it home from spring break. But I thought I'd give you a little photo journal of the highlights. Enjoy!


Day 1: Imperial Beach. This just happen to be right down the beach from a little place called TJ. Tijuana, if you will. Don't worry, though, we never went to TJ. "Oh yah, Big Deal!"



A
t Imperial Beach, we walked all the way out to the end of the pier, and as we were gazing out at the ocean, this fine group of San Diegoans approached us. The conversation went something like this: "Hey, do you ladies want some fresh fish?" Catherine: "No." Mary Kate: "SURE!!" And then we commenced to eating raw clams (freshly cook in lemon juice and Tabasco), holding starfish, dodging lobsters, and pretty much creating our own version of Sea World.


Day 2: Beach Day. Clearly I was excited.



I think we spent a solid half hour just jumping over the waves. The tide may not fascinate the San Diego folk anymore, but to a bunch of girls from the tundra? Absolutely. The beach was beautiful, the water was pretty cold, but the sunshine was wonderful. I think it was 11 degrees and sleeting in Milwaukee. We also found a crab. MK was bold enough to pick it up. Sea World.


Day 3: Bike Day. We cruised around Coronado Island for the afternoon.



Of course Catherine would not be satisfied without a jumping picture. I would say this was our most successful attempt. In the background is Coronado Bridge. And boats.



Our hotel was on the isthmus connecting Coronado Island to San Diego. So our bike ride was a ride on the isthmus and a ride around the island. We packed a lunch to eat in the middle of the day. Unfortunately Coronado Island didn't have a lot of picnic areas. So we made our own. On the median in downtown Coronado.



We ended the night hanging out by the beach. Note the headlamp.



Day 4: Whale watching. (Once again, no need for Sea World.)
WE'RE ON A BOAT!! On the end of our row is our good friend and driver Omar. He was a delight and was also from TJ. Note the USS Ronald Reagan in the background. Not quite the USS Poseidon....




We saw dolphins!!


Clearly Lindsay was was excited about the adventure. However, I can assure you that the gentleman to the left was not. This man was so sick he puked all over the holder of puke bags. It was enough to make me want to vomit--and I've got a stomach of steel! (Well, that's not true. My stomach is made of parietal and chief cells, but who's counting?)



Day Five: Adventures with Uncle Jerry and Aunt Mary.
Cast of characters (L-R): Megan, Mary Kate, Catherine, myself and Lindsay. Here we are at the highest point in San Diego, the Cabrillo Memorial, founder of Brillo Pads.


That's a lie. Cabrillo actually discovered San Diego. He was an explorer, just like me and Lindsay.


Next stop? Old Town San Diego. We're in a wagon.




Look, I played a lot of Oregon Trail as a child. I got excited!



And on the last night, all of Mary Kate's dreams came true with a night of samba-ing with Caesar.

All things considered, it was one heck of a trip. Although I'm not sure anyone would ever want to fly with me again, I at least hope to travel again soon with these girls. It was a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment